Skip to main content

What can happen if the border officer find that i was outside the usa longer a one year ? i can have a lawyer in airport ?

New York, NY |

what can happen if the border officer find that i was outside the USA longer a one year ? i can have a lawyer in airport

Attorney Answers 5

  1. If you are a green card holder with no Permit to Re-enter, you may be denied admission. Sure, you can have lawyer's number handy...

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:

  2. The answer depends upon your reasons for remaining outside the United States for more than a year. When you remain outside the United States for more than a year, you are presumed to have abandoned your residence. You must be prepared to answer questions related to your absence from the United States. You should also have documentation to corroborate your reasons, if available.

    You can have an attorney's phone number available. You would be best advised to consult with an attorney before traveling. The attorney can help you prepare for any interview in advance.

  3. In my experience they'll send you to secondary inspection rather than deal with you at the airport. If that's the case then certainly hire an attorney.

    My answering this question does not form an attorney-client relationship. Always retain a qualified attorney before taking any action. My office offers free consultations.

  4. I agree with my colleagues.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  5. You should consult with an immigration attorney *before* attempting to enter the United States. When you leave for longer than a year the government assumes that you have abandoned your residency. You will need to be prepared to deal with questions about your absence when you attempt to return. Your attorney will be able to prepare you for this process.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics