Skip to main content

What can happen at temporary child custody hearing without a attorney since husband now disagrees with our verbal agreement?

Matthews, NC |

I had for attorney,and all the money i had went for restraining orders, dom. violence,. My attorney agreed before filing dismissal papers to help me with a temp.child custody agreement, we were in agreement , except for holiday stuff. Court date is next week, Now!husbands attorney contacts me, wants a "Global" permanent agreement.,divorce settlement/ child custody property,.Wanted me to look at proposed order, I don't understand most, things I do, I don't agree, husband said i better agree or im not going to like the temp child hearing, his attorney does a lot pro bono,knows Judges, and they know him. I want this hearing to only be on just the child custody, temp or perm. to get a workable agreement i asked for no support. What now can expect? What can or should I do?

Attorney Answers 1


When one side of a case has an attorney, that should be a signal to the other side of the case that they should get an attorney too. Otherwise, you may not know what is happening and may not be able to stop it. Custody and visitation rights cases are very dependant on the law in each state and the way each county judge may approach your particular case. Perhaps no other area of law is so peculiarly local as this is. Because of that, you really should talk to a local attorney to find out what your rights are, what the law says, what the local judge's approach may be, and what you can and can not do in your situation. This is also the one area of law where a decision made today can have very long-term consequences so it is important that you have your side heard and considered. You need to talk to a local Custody Law attorney who deals with your kind of case on a regular basis in your local court. You can search the Avvo website list of attorneys or call your local attorney's Bar Association and ask for a referral to a Custody Law or Domestic Relations attorney near you. But act quickly because for every legal right you have, there is only a limited amount of time to take action in court or your rights expire, so don't waste your time getting to a Domestic Relations or Custody Law attorney and finding out what your rights are. If this answer was helpful, please give a “Vote UP” review below. Thanks for your question and good luck. Ron Burdge,

This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Click the link to find a Consumer Law attorney near you.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics