What can be done when an atty is acting in bad faith?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lawrenceville, GA

Atty sent several emails documenting that if we are able to provide documentation of missing payments for a debt collection she and the hoa would review and give proper credit. We spent hours finding and producing this documentation from our bank. Once we submitted the evidence the atty comment was that does not bring your balance to zero with out any detail of any new balance once the bank records were submitted. Can we go into court to claim bad faith. Can we ask for punitive damages. We want to correct a debt where previous payments was not given credit.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Kris K. Skaar

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Avvo is a very poor substitute for retaining an experienced attorney to evaluate your options. What may look like bad faith from your perspective, may be the zealous advocacy in favor of the attorney's client that bar rules require. I suggest that you have all of your documents reviewed by counsel. There is a possibility that a claim can be made against the HOA and/or the attorney; however, without a thorough review, there is no way that any attorney could offer a meaningful response to your question.

    Skaar & Feagle, LLP maintains offices in Marietta (770 427 5600) and Decatur (404 373 1970), Georgia. The... more
  2. Dorothy G Bunce


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . What evidence do you have that the attorney, and not the client, is the person acting in bad faith? Hope this perspective helps.

  3. Nikhilkumar Manharlal Patel


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should consult with an attorney regarding your case. They will be able to go over your case and show you what you may be missing or help you in your efforts to file a claim, either way there is not enough information regarding your situation to determine / suggest that you have a claim against anyone. Consult with an attorney, many offer free consultations. Good Luck!

    The asking of and answering general questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Please consult... more

Related Topics

Debt collection and debt settlement

If you face debt collection you may choose to fight it and defend against garnishment. You may also seek debt settlement as a way to negotiate with creditors.

Ryan Hardy

Accord and Satisfaction in Arizona

In Arizona, two parties can agree to a lesser amount than what is actually owed. In order for this to occur, there needs to be a clear indicator that a full satisfaction of the debt is... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,158 answers this week

2,316 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,158 answers this week

2,316 attorneys answering