What can be done to stop a family member from calling in false reports to NJ DYFS?

Asked over 3 years ago - Clark, NJ

I am a single mother of 1 child & have chose not to have a relationship with my mother, who is a LCSW, for over 6 years. In 9/2010, after a verbal argument on the phone, she called DYFS and made a complaint that I was intoxicated (since she knows I am a recovering alcoholic), child abuse and the like. In 11/2010, I received a letter from DYFS stating that the allegations were "unfounded" & case closed. Well, here we are in 4/2011, and again, after a phone message I left her expressing my disgust that it was her that called DYFS, she again called DYFS with the exact same allegations, along with now filing a complaint against the then (and now present) caseworker stating that she did not do her job. SHe is using her LCSW as a weapon against family members who want nothing to do with her.

1. Robert Ricci

1

Best Answer

Answered . This is a really problematic situation. Courts are loathe to do anything which would scare people away from reporting abuse or neglect. The best you can do is to cooperate with DYFS, remind them of the prior false allegations, and clarify to them the nature of your relationship with your mother. It really is sad that your mother would do this if the allegations are merely a way to hurt you, because they end up hurting the children.

2. Ronald Glenn Lieberman

Pro

Answered . There is no way to stop someone from making reports to DYFS.