What can be done to freeze interest being added to a default student loan.

Asked almost 6 years ago - Latta, SC

I don't want to dismiss my student loan but I would like for the company to freeze adding any more interest after payment has started. I have started paying and would like to have the interest dismissed or frozen. Can file bankruptcy to freeze the loan while I pay on it.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Lu Ann Trevino


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . I am not licensed to practice law in your state.

    These comments are made for educational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists between us.

    If these are federally backed student loans, you can not discharge them in bankruptcy. You may be able to reduce your interest by consolidating the loans with one lender.

Related Topics


There are different types of debt, but all involve one person (the debtor) owing money to another (the creditor). Terms of repayment are governed by a contract.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,661 answers this week

3,504 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,661 answers this week

3,504 attorneys answering