What can be done in the case of Discrimination based on National Origin?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Smyrna, GA

We were trying to rent a house that was found on cyberrentals.com to spend a weekend.My friend's husband(he has a Russian accent)contacted the person listed on the website. When I,being from Russia as well,decided to call,Contact was informed that I will be calling.The Conversation started with immediate question in a very rude manner if I was a scam and followed by personal questions.The next day I received a voice message accusing me of being a scam and intending to share my personal info on website.My coworker of an American origin called inquiring of the house with exactly same questions, was treated nicely and informed that the owner was harassed by Russian scam.My Coworker informed the lady that I was not a scam, messages, emails and phone calls with threats continued to all of us.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

1

Answered . Your first option is to make a complaint with the state's fair housing authorities, the Fair Housing Division of the Georgia Commission on Equal Opportunities. That agency enforces the Georgia Fair Housing Law, which prohibits various forms of discrimination in residential real estate transactions on the basis of race, sex, religion, disability, national origin, familial status or color. Here is the link to get you started with the complaint/investigation process: http://rules.sos.state.ga.us/docs/186/2/03.pdf