Skip to main content

What can be done if you feel you were misrepresented in Divorce Trial and Divorce is still not Final? Can it go back to court?

Mesa, AZ |

I have not signed the divorce decree and I feel my attorney did not do his job in defending me at my Divorce Trial. I live in Arizona and my wife received well OVER 50% of all assets and more. My attorney waited until 2 hours before my divorce trial to send me the opposing side Pretrial statement which left me totally unprepared. I hired this attorney to defend me. He has been the one writing up all the documents for the divorce. Shouldn't this be done by my wife's attorney, being that she is the one who filed? I would like to know if I have to sign the Divorce Decree or can this be taken back to court? Please tell me what can be done?

Attorney Answers 2


It sounds as if you have several issues here, but you should not sign the document without first discussing your reasons with your attorney and get the entire picture, and once satisfied, then sign. It is likely that you agreed to the terms in court already and the decree is the formal documentation of the agreements. You need to know if that is so. Also, it is generally true that the Petitioner will draft documentation, but there are numerous reasons to vary from that. You have paid for representation and it might be wise to discuss your concerns with your attorney before seeking outside answers.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


As you are represented by counsel, you really need to discuss these concerns with him before signing the Decree. It would be unethical for us to second guess what happened or what you should do when you have an attorney. If you are unhappy with the current situation, you can also privately consult with another attorney to discuss your issues.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics