What can be done if company offers you a job in writing and you quit your current job and then the new jobs never starts

Atlanta, GA |

I was offered a job (written offer letter) I quit my job by turning in my two week notice and I had a start date for the new job but, the weekend before the new job started, they pushed it back a week, then another week, until now I have been home for 2 months out of a job. What can I do about this? should they be required to pay me lost wages?

1. Unless you had a contract for a certain period of time, you took the same risk as anyone else who quits a job for a bigger better deal. Even if you started working, you may have been terminated after a day or quit after a day.

2. While it is true that under Georgia law an employee can generally be terminated for any reason or for no reason at all, it sounds like you may have had a written contract (since you mention that you had an "offer letter"). The terms of a written contract might offer more protection than Georgia law. You should consult with a lawyer to determine whether or not there is anything you can do.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.