What can be done if a divorce decree is not being followed?

Asked about 1 year ago - Anna, TX

It states in my divorce decree that property involved is supposed to be split 50/50 and this is not happening. What can I do?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Howard M Lewis


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I agree with counsel. If Husband is not complying with the order, you may have grounds for a contempt action, along with attorney fees. Good Luck.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more
  2. William Tyler Moore Jr


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to take the decree to an experienced family law attorney to discuss the possibility of enforcing its provisions. Depending on the nature of the property involved, you do have an answer

    I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you... more
  3. Mark Anthony Cohan


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . You can bring your ex-spouse in front of the judge to be held in contempt. You have to draft and file a petition, serve him or her, have a hearing and get a judgment. This gets pretty complicated and I'd recommend talking to a local attorney. Since attorney's fees are generally awarded in actions like this, most attorneys would be glad to take it on.

  4. Matias Jose Rueda


    Contributor Level 4

    Answered . You will probably need to hire an attorney. An enforcment may be filed if the other party is not following the orders. Also, if the court finds that party to be in violation or contempt of the orders, the judge may order them to pay your attorney fees.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,991 answers this week

2,794 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,991 answers this week

2,794 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary