What can be done if a divorce decree is not being followed?

Asked about 1 year ago - Anna, TX

It states in my divorce decree that property involved is supposed to be split 50/50 and this is not happening. What can I do?

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

5

9

Answered . I agree with counsel. If Husband is not complying with the order, you may have grounds for a contempt action, along with attorney fees. Good Luck.

2. William Tyler Moore Jr

Pro

2

Answered . You need to take the decree to an experienced family law attorney to discuss the possibility of enforcing its provisions. Depending on the nature of the property involved, you do have an answer

3. Mark Anthony Cohan

Pro

Answered . You can bring your ex-spouse in front of the judge to be held in contempt. You have to draft and file a petition, serve him or her, have a hearing and get a judgment. This gets pretty complicated and I'd recommend talking to a local attorney. Since attorney's fees are generally awarded in actions like this, most attorneys would be glad to take it on.

4. Matias Jose Rueda

Pro

Answered . You will probably need to hire an attorney. An enforcment may be filed if the other party is not following the orders. Also, if the court finds that party to be in violation or contempt of the orders, the judge may order them to pay your attorney fees.