What can be done about noisy tenants above me

Asked about 2 years ago - Bradenton, FL

They are not tv or music loud, but their large size dog jumps constantly and with the wodden floors we cannot hear tv nor sleep till after 10:30 each bight. I have written numerous letters to office. They claim they have written the tenants up. When I confront the tenants they say they will not stop their dog from jumping of beds, couches, etc. At times they do it on purpose, but that is another story.

1. Daniel Tam

Answered . What are the rules and regulations that are set out by the apartment building management? Smetimes there is a time cutoff for certain types of noise. Also, there may be a requirement for rugs or carpeting on a certain percentage of the floor. Are those rules being followed? Does your city or township have noise codes in place, and if so, what do they say?

2. Andrea Nyree Mosley

Pro

Answered . This is a common problem in apartments. You should try to make a video in your apartment with sound that demonstrates noise level and your inability to hear your tv in your apartment. Do this for 2 to 3 days. This will be your objective evidence of the noise late into the night.

Speak to a local attorney about your options and let them review your video tape. Pay an attorney for an hour of their time if you cant find one that offers free consultations. You may have options available to you but you must proceed properly.

Confronting your upstairs tenant will only make the situation worse.