What can be done about my friend that was raped 3 years ago but told no one until now?

Sebastian, FL |

this happened in florida 3 years ago, my friend was 13 when she was raped, she is now 16, and she never told anyone except me and one other friend until now

1. Go to the police, let them do their work. And/Or contact a lawyer about a civil suit.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

2. It was a horrific crime then and it remains so today. While there may be proof problems there are definitely not any statute of limitations problems.

Your friend should tell her parents and then go with them to the police station. One thing that you can count on is that the cops will treat her gingerly and will call in professionals who are trained in assisting sexual battery victims to recount their tragedies with minimal further consequence.

The only caution flag that I waive is to be sure that the allegations are fact and not fiction, because once gravity takes that snowball down the mountain there is no stopping it.

First, second and third: No attorney-client relationship exists by virtue of any Q&A with Michael A. Haber, Esq. on Avvo. Fourth: Anything that you post on Avvo (or on similar sites) or on any social media is by its nature public. It is essentially an admission / confession and can be introduced into evidence as a statement against your interest in a subsequent legal proceeding. Once posted you lose any reasonable expectation of privacy, so, as this is an open forum (with no privilege attached), please be extra careful when considering what to post online (forewarned is forearmed.)

3. She needs to report it immediately. No statute of limitations issue.

4. National Sexual Assault Hotline - 1.800.656.HOPE or diall 911.

Educational purposes answer. | FACDL.org | NACDL.org | Defendme.net | twitter.com/JReganLLM | Non-privileged answer.

Violent crime topics