Skip to main content

What can be done about a lawyer never telling you that accepting "a great deal" plea bargain would make you deportable?

Greenville, NC |

In 2005, my husband was arrested with marijauna and cocaine charges, and in 2009 his attorney presented a plea bargain fromt the prosecutor to drop the cocaine charges if he accepted the marijuana charge of PWISD. Never during that 4 year period did his attorney tell him that these charges would lead to deportation procedings. Now, in 2012, ICE has a hold on my husband and facing deportation due to this 2005 charge. With this in mine, can we reopen the case, request espungement, or plead for a dismissal due to improper consuel?

Attorney Answers 1


That is ineffective assistance in plea bargaining according to Padilla v. Kentucky from the US Supreme Court. You need to get a criminal defense lawyer and attack the conviction to prevent deportation.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics