What can be done? Can he get bail? Is restitution an option? he is held by the Feds/IRS for tax related fraud.

Asked about 1 year ago - Virginia Beach, VA

My friend's spouse was recently picked up by the Feds for tax related fraud and possession/use of others information. debit cards with other peoples names were found in his car which makes it worse and he is now in custody to be moved to his initial state of residence prior to marriage. i cannot say he did or did not but need support to help. Can he get bail or find a way to pay restitution? What options are available?

1. Eliz C A Johnson

5

Answered . Restitution is very helpful but the crimes have been committed. Courts often consider voluntary restitution at the sentencing phase. Bail is likely if this is a first offense but your facts are thin. In all events, your friend needs to find her spouse some legal counsel ASAP. Best to you

2. Stephen Patrick Pfeiffer

Pro

3

Answered . You need to contact a local attorney in the jurisdiction which is being tried. There is several options to consider and an experience local attorney will know the options and the court he's dealing with.

3. Evan A Nielsen

4

Answered . Your friend's spouse needs an attorney and anything disclosed on this public forum regarding what he did or didn't do should only be shared with his attorney. There options, but not that should be discussed in public.

4. Raymond George Wigell

Pro

3

Answered . Many options are available. The first best move is consulting and retaining an experienced federal criminal defense attorney who is familiar with tax and financial crimes.

5. Steven Andrew Brody

3

Answered . Bail is certainly an option. Generally your first chance to have a bail argument heard is at the arraignment that takes place within 48 hours of arrest. However, even if bail is denied then, you can reapply at a later date once you have more information to provide to the court. His private attorney or federal defender will be able assist you with that.

I agree with my colleagues that voluntary restitution is an option but voluntary restitution is much less compelling if it takes place after the crime has bed charged. Courts give it less weight at sentencing when it comes so late in the game.