What can a person plea when charged with wire & mail fraud & conspiracy? This is not drug related

Asked over 4 years ago - Philadelphia, PA

This is a crazy case which stemmed from a shoplifting case in a store.

1. NiaLena Caravasos

Answered . I agree with Linda. Possible resolutions are driven by the facts at issue and by the elements of the charged offenses. You definitely should consult with counsel and review the evidence against you prior to deciding whether / how to negotiate a plea.

(Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship.)

2. Linda Friedman Ramirez

Answered . Are you looking for possible resolutions to a pending federal wire fraud charge?

Unfortunately "it depends on the facts", whether its a trial case, and if not, whether the government might be amenable to negotiate certain issues, charges, etc.

Some of the factors that go into fashioning a good plea agreement are the statutory maximum sentence, the likely guidelines based on the facts , any financial loss, etc. etc. There is a lengthy guide to federal sentencing guidelines so it is difficult to anticiapte what might be relevant. The primary guideline in a fraud case is found at 2B1.1

The accused should have an attorney, retained or appointed, who is experienced with federal trials, defenses, and federal sentencing principles.

I hope this helps. Some other colleagues might have something more to add.