Skip to main content

What can a person do if their attorney pressures them into a sexual relationship while representing them?

Chicago, IL |

During my divorce my attorney made it clear that she would not represent me if I did not engage in a sexual relationship with her. My divorce was very acrimonious (my ex-wife was also a divorce attorney) and required much attention from the very beginning. My attorney initially put many hours working on my case. After several weeks my attorney made advances with the ultimatum that if I did not give in she was going to drop me as a client. Feeling completely at her mercy I gave in to her advances. Our relationship continued after my divorce. I felt I needed her legal advice on the many post decree issues my ex-wife kept bringing up. Her familiarity with the case and the involved issues made me believe it would be impossible to find another attorney to represent me.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    Assuming that what you have written is true, the attorney's actions are reprehensible and disgusting.

    Report to Illinois ARDC. Consult an experienced legal malpractice lawyer.

    Of course, every answer is based on the question asked and requires a more complete context. This answer should not be relied upon to make a legal decision. Seek the advice of an experienced criminal defense attorney before acting. Law Offices of Raymond G. Wigell, Ltd. Defenders of the Constitution since 1975/ Aggressive Creative Defense Strategies/ Website: 24/7 --(708) 481-4800.

  2. Holy crap! Report this attorney to our disciplinary commission immediately! Your exact situation has been addressed before by the commission. Stay away from this lawyer. There are plenty of good ones out there who do not ask for "favors." I am embarrassed for the entire legal profession. Most of us are far above this level of despicable conduct. You can call in or write a complaint. Go to for the information you will need.

  3. Contact the bar's disciplinary committee immediately. This behavior is unexcusable. Second, demand your file from her and take it elsewhere for a second opinion to determine whether this attorney committed malpractice. (Always bear in mind that a an ethical breach, by itself, does not ordinarily amount to malpractice.) Be prepared to pay for this review. I am not licensed in Illinois and my comments should not be taken as legal advice.

    A response to a question posted on Avvo is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. It is informational only. Allan E. Richardson, Esq. Richardson, Galella & Austermuhl 142 Emerson ST., Woodbury, NJ 08096 856-579-7045.

  4. Absolutely contact the ARDC. You should also look for another attorney to assist you with any post divorce issues.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics