What can a lawyer do when it comes to nonimmigrant visas?

Asked about 1 year ago - Madison, WI

As someone who has been denied a student visa more than once under section 214(b) before, I am strongly considering consulting a lawyer given my change of circumstances that I can demonstrate in my next visa interview. My question is simple. What can a lawyer generally do to help me with my situation? In the end, the interview will still be between myself and the consular officer. Will a lawyer advise me on what documents to gather and such? I am more than willing to hire a lawyer regardless of the costs.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

2

Answered . Everything. An experienced immigration lawyer can make the difference between failure and success, between a visa grant and another denial. You will need to do the legwork yourself and seek to hire an experienced immigration lawyer that you'll feel comfortable working with.

2. Lynn Marie O'Brien

2

Answered . They can review what you presented and explain why you were denied and prepare the next application so that it's not denied.

3. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

1

Answered . Hiring a lawyer in your situation is a good idea by any means, especially since as you state cost is not an issue. Yes, the interview will still be between you and the consular officer, but as you state your visa application has been denied more than once. Do you know the reasons for the rejection? An attorney can investigate these and then help you assemble a visa application package that is much more likely to succeed next time around. So follow your idea. Good luck!

4. Gary Nathan Chodorow

1

Answered . I've written an article about how an immigration lawyer can help a nonimmigrant visa applicant. See the link.

5. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

1

Answered . An experienced immigration attorney can provide the guidance you need to have your visa application approved. A good lawyer will advise and assist you in preparing your application and supporting documents.