Skip to main content

What can a DWI be reduced to in Missouri if it is a first offense?

Cape Girardeau, MO |

It was a first offense and the driver was pulled over immediately after leaving a gas station that the officer was at. The officer never told the driver why he was pulled over and asked the driver to get out of the car as soon as the officer got to the window. Can a DWI be reduced to an offense that will not affect insurance rates or even be reduced at all?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Not enough information to be able to answer your question. But hiring the best lawyer is always going to result in a better outcome. Wishing and hoping . . . not so much.

Good Luck!

Kelly W. Case


The answer to your question of whether a DWI CAN be reduced/amended to a lesser charge is yes. As to whether or not it is likely in the situation you presented, no one here can tell you that with the information you have provided.

A thorough review of the police report, any statements made by the driver, sobriety test results, etc. is necessary before anyone can advise you as to what the possible realistic outcomes of your specific case are.

Even if the state has a weak case, you still need an attorney to handle this charge. Don't think you'll be able to go into court and talk the prosecutor into amending this one. Hiring an experienced DWI attorney in your area is a must here.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer