What can a 17 year old do in the state of Illinois?

Homewood, IL |

I'm turning 17 in January and I still can't wait for my 18th birthday. So, I was wondering what a 17 year old can do. I'm talking about like wether or not I can get a credit card, a bank account ect.

So, the bad news, which to be honest is not bad at all: You cannot get a credit card. The good news: You can eat an entire large pizza in one sitting and still lose weight.

For more information: www.thomasmoens.com By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Great answer!

Thomas O. Moens

Thomas O. Moens

Thank you. I must be hungry. Or bitter about not being able to eat an entire large pizza in one sitting.

Generally for contract law, you need to be 18 to enter into any financial agreements or apply for credit cards as a 17 year old minor's contracts will not be deemed valid.
If you truly want to responsibly use a credit card, ask your parents to add you as a co-signer on one of their existing cards and bank accounts with a debit card, etc.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois 773-562-8602

As adult as you may feel, in the eyes of the w, you are still a juvenile (with few exceptions by court order) until you attain the age of 18. Any contract you enter into is voidable. No credit card company will issue you a card - and you should not lie or the card will be revoked for perjury or fraud. Hang in there. You have more years to be an adult than you ever had to be a child. Enjoy these years. You will never get them back.