What can I do about a slumlord?

Asked 10 months ago - Irving, TX

I moved in my apartment about 3 weeks ago and i have had many issues with my toilet backing up, we haven't been able to bath do to issues with the bathtub being stopped up and the handles are tore up. I was told that it will all be fixed the next day but it have been 3 weeks and when i called the landlord they told me i had to do a work order in order for his workers to come out so i went in and did that and they still have not came out to fix these issues. I have had baby roaches and ants coming out every other day. Im really fed up with these problems and ready to move. I signed a one year lease but i was told to come back and pick it up after i get settled because they didn't want me to lose it in the process of moving. Can somebody please give me some good advice?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Generally, if you notify the landlord by certified mail, return receipt requested, about an issue in the rental property that is a threat to your health or safety, the landlord has a week from when they receive your letter (or notice of your letter) to fix the problem. If the landlord does not fix the problem, you may have the right to terminate your lease, sue the landlord for $500 plus one month's rent (plus actual damages, court costs and attorney's fees), and/or obtain a court order requiring the landlord to fix the problem. If the landlord knew there were problems before you moved in, you may also have claims for fraud and violations of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act. You may want to consult with an attorney to determine if you have taken all the steps necessary to legally terminate your lease. Throughout this process, you should make sure you are current on your rent and continue to pay your rent on time until you move out of the unit, or else your landlord may have the right to evict you, regardless of the repair issues.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and should not be relied upon as legal advice.
  2. Answered . You should probably discuss the specifics offline with a local landlord/tenant lawyer who can advise you based on the specifics, so you avoid walking into any unnecessary liabilities as a result of an impulsive decision. Best of luck

    Statements posted on the Avvo Q&A section are not legal advice. No prudent person anywhere at any time should ever... more

Related Topics

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Tenant rights

Tenant rights vary by state, but in general, you have the right to safe and habitable housing, privacy, and to not be discriminated against, among other things.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now