What CA case law or CA codes support the legal property description controls rather than address, in a deed or deed of trust?

Asked about 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

What if any, California codes or case law support that a legal property description controls rather than an address or APN in a deed, grant deed, or deed of trust?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Robert Paul Bergman

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The general answer to your question can be found in Civil Code Section 1092, which provides as follows:

    1092. A grant of an estate in real property may be made in
    substance as follows:

    "I, A B, grant to C D all that real property situated in (insert
    name of county) County, State of California, bounded (or described)
    as follows: (here insert property description, or if the land sought
    to be conveyed has a descriptive name, it may be described by the
    name, as for instance, "The Norris Ranch.')

    Witness my hand this (insert day) day of (insert

    The operative part of this statute is that the property description must be in the transfer. In other words, there is no legal requirement that you identify the property address or APN of the property in order to have a valid transfer. The only thing you need is the property description.

    For example, I had a deed returned from a County Recorder because the legal description was inaccurate, even though the property address and APN were accurate. A much earlier deed had incorrectly identified the Lot number in the legal description, which actually described the adjacent property. I used that legal description for the new transfer. The earlier deed had been accepted for recordation by the Recorder in that county, which they admitted to me was an error on their part. A correction deed was necessary to get the title transferred, and I also prepared and filed a Quitclaim Deed so that the legal title of the adjacent property was not impaired in any way.

    Please remember to mark what you believe to be the best answer to your question. This answer is provided by... more
  2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . California Civil Code section 1092. For a discussion on this topic, refer to the case of Edwards v. Santa Paula (1956) 138 Cal.App.2d 375, 292 P.2d 31, 1956 Cal App LEXIS 2373.

    Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is... more
  3. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I believe Attorney Bergman has given you a solid answer.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more

Related Topics

Estate planning

Estate planning refers to the process in which you decide and document what happens to your assets after you die, by making things like wills or trusts.


A trust is an estate planning tool in which you allow a third party (called a trustee) to hold your assets on behalf of your beneficiaries. Several types exist.

Sharon Melissa Siegel

What is a Trust?

A trust is a legal document. All trusts must be written on paper. There are many categories of trust. A "testamentary trust" is a trust that is established under a will and only comes... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,858 answers this week

3,467 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,858 answers this week

3,467 attorneys answering