What breeds of dog are considered dangerous by homeowners insurance?

Asked over 2 years ago - Madison, MS

My daughter was at a neighbors house and bitten by their dog. I do not want to sue them but she suffered a significant injury. Approximately 70-80 stitches in her scalp and face. I am interested in knowing what I should consider a reasonable settlement offer from their insurance.

1. Laura Mcfarland-Taylor

Answered . Each insurance company defines "dangerous dogs" differently. In addition, the bite was likely reported to animal control, who will also have a say in the matter (i.e., if the dog has bitten someone before). Also, the circumstances of the bite must be considered - how old is your child, what was she doing prior to the bite, was she properly supervised around the dog, etc. You really need to speak with an attorney as this is not a matter you should consider handling on your own. The Mississippi Bar Association can give you a referral: www.msbar.org/

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.