What Benefits are available for disabled?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Richmond, VA

I am a disabled person under age of 31 and a permanent resident . I am seeking benefits since I don't have any income . I wasn't working before I became disabled either because of an illness that led to the disability . Can I get SSI and SNAP ? what are the other benefit options ?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Gerald Gregory Lutkenhaus

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Since you are an alien, you will have to meet one of the alien exceptions to qualify for SSI (which is welfare disability). If you have paid into the Social Security system and have sufficient quarters then you can apply for Social Security benefits based on those earnings. Contact your local Social Security and file for both Social Security and SSI.

    This response is meant to be information only and should not be considered to be legal advice. This information is... more
  2. Eugene Andre Ahtirski


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Based on the facts you presented, it sounds like you may well be entitled to benefits. I would contact your local social services offices to set up an appointment and/or obtain a handbook on what state and federal aid may be available to you, then proceed to apply accordingly. Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

20,238 answers this week

2,590 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

20,238 answers this week

2,590 attorneys answering