What as a Guardian can I do about visitations with the parents, grandparent (instate and out of state, and child support?

Asked about 1 year ago - Colorado Springs, CO

I have Guardianship of my Great niece who is three and her little bother who is 11 months. I want to know how to have court order visits so I don't have to argue with the birth parents on when they can visit with the children. Also about child support and there other responsibilities for there children.

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

3

1

Answered . Either you or the parents can petition the court to determine parenting time that the parents will get with the great niece. Although grandparents can petition for grandparent visitation, it has been severely limited by the US Supreme Court in recent decisions. So, I would simply tell them to petition the El Paso County District Court for parenting time and you will comply with any orders from the Court. You can also petition the Court for the parents to pay child support to you as the child's guardian.

2. David Littman

Pro

3

1

Answered . You can ask for allocation of parental responsibilities and have the court establish a parenting plan which will be the rules for contact with the parents. You can also seek child support. It would be best to work with an attorney as this is a complex undertaking. Good luck to you.