What ares my rights to protect my apartment and family for hurricane without being sue by association? Hallandale, Florida

Asked about 1 year ago - Hallandale, FL

We live in a co-op and want to install accordion hurricane shutters over all our windows. However, the president of our co-op lives in Canada. He stated that we cannot install hurricane shutters over two windows that face the inner court. Additionally, we thought about replacing the windows that face the inner court with impact windows. Our president said that the board would need to take a vote. He suggests we contact the other board members to let them vote on the issue. We need at least 5 people to have a vote. The problem is that most of the board members live elsewhere, and the president doesn't want to invoke a proxy vote. Is this position legal? What rights do we have to protect our investment in light of hurricane season in south Florida?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Barbara Billiot Stage


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is very little legislation regarding cooperatives and the existing laws do not address hurricane shutters. The condominium statute provides for hurricane shutters and a court might look to that statute for guidance, but litigation is expensive. The easiest and cheapest route is to work it out with the association.

    You will need to look at your documents for guidance to see if this action is prohibited or requires the association's approval. The association should have a mechanism in place for approving or denying improvements to your unit. If a vote is required, limited proxies are allowed by law. The other option is to see if your documents provide for absentee ballots (mail-in ballots). To take no action is irresponsible of the board.

    This communication is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. It is always recommended you consult... more
  2. Marshall C Deason Jr.


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Stage, but I would point out that boards of cooperatives, like other boards of directors, can meet by conference call or take written action without a meeting by e-mail unless this is specifically prohibited by the bylaws of the cooperative association. If you think that your are being treated unfairly by the board, you should consult an experienced real estate lawyer in your area.

    Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now