What area of practice should an attorney specialize in concerning homeowner's associations?

Asked about 1 year ago - Houston, TX

I am involved in a legal dispute with my association over them violating our deed restrictions as it pertains to Special Assessment Fees. I would like to hire an attorney, but am not certain what practice area that I need to search.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Brian W. Erikson


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You need to retain a real estate or construction attorney that litigates. Your issues do not involve transactions, so a real estate closing attorney with an office practice would not be overly helpful.

    You did not specify what sort of homeowner's association is at issue. For example, condominiums have a homeowner's association. You can review Texas law on condominium regimes and homeowner's associations at the following web link to give you an idea about HOA powers:


    Good luck.

  2. Michael Glynn Busby Jr.


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Real Property and Real Estate attorneys are the best

  3. Michael J Corbin

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Any decent real estate or contract attorney should be able to assist you. There are some that specialize in HOA issues, but that's rare.

    We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. corbin-law-office.com.... more
  4. Matthew Scott Berkus

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . In general, you would be looking for a real estate attorney, one that handles real estate litigation would be preferable. (the other type being purely transactional). Beyond that, some HOA experience is necessary, but if you do a search for HOA attorney, most likely all you will find are attorneys that represent HOA's.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,480 answers this week

2,992 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,480 answers this week

2,992 attorneys answering