What area of practice should an attorney specialize in concerning homeowner's associations?

Houston, TX |

I am involved in a legal dispute with my association over them violating our deed restrictions as it pertains to Special Assessment Fees. I would like to hire an attorney, but am not certain what practice area that I need to search.

Any decent real estate or contract attorney should be able to assist you. There are some that specialize in HOA issues, but that's rare.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. corbin-law-office.com. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

Are Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions considered Contractual?

Michael J Corbin

Michael J Corbin

Absolutely.

In general, you would be looking for a real estate attorney, one that handles real estate litigation would be preferable. (the other type being purely transactional). Beyond that, some HOA experience is necessary, but if you do a search for HOA attorney, most likely all you will find are attorneys that represent HOA's.

You need to retain a real estate or construction attorney that litigates. Your issues do not involve transactions, so a real estate closing attorney with an office practice would not be overly helpful.

You did not specify what sort of homeowner's association is at issue. For example, condominiums have a homeowner's association. You can review Texas law on condominium regimes and homeowner's associations at the following web link to give you an idea about HOA powers:

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PR/htm/PR.82.htm

It is a residential subdivision.

Brian W. Erikson

Brian W. Erikson

Check out Texas Property Code Chapter 204, which you can review at the following web link: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PR/htm/PR.204.htm

Real Property and Real Estate attorneys are the best