What are ways to legalize 7months overstayed tourist visa converted from a J visa? Is there anyway to change it to Artist visa?

Asked about 2 years ago - Seattle, WA

My bf has overstayed for 7 months on a tourist visa converted from a J visa. I'm about to start the EB2 green card process through my work. What options do we have as a couple to legalize him in the US? We are from 2 different nationalities.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Qingqing Miao

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unfortunately, your boyfriend will have to leave the U.S. Even if his J visa does not carry the 2-year residence rule, given his situation, he cannot get his status changed or adjusted because he is currently out of status.

    The above answer is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice.
  3. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your boyfriend has to leave the country prior to him accumulating 180 days of "unlawful presence" upon the expiration of his latest status (tourist), after which the 3 year bar to readmission will apply to him. He will need to leave the country and "join" you from the consulate overseas, once (hopefully your EB2 (NIW? PERM?) GC process will be approved. He cannot wait here. Since he already fell out of status here, there is no way USCIS will reinstate or agree to adjust his status with yours upon your marriage and case approval. You would have to marry him prior to filing the EB-2 I-140 Petition, where you will have to list him as your husband.

    This is the plan. The fact that you are from 2 different nationalities makes no difference whatsoever. If you play it right, when you get your GC here, husband will get it there at a consulate as "following to join", after you.

    Good luck! BTW I am very experienced when it comes to National Interest Waiver self-petitions, as well as PERM. Do not hesitate to call me at the office.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  4. Rebecca T White

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Your boyfriend doesn't have many options. He can leave, hopefully before he triggers bars to his return, although it sounds as though he may already have done so. Or he can remain unlawfully present until you become a US citizen and adjust at that time. Not really a good option for him.

  5. Veronica Tunitsky

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Is his J subject to the 2-year return home requirement?

    The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,434 answers this week

2,932 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,434 answers this week

2,932 attorneys answering