What are the types of alimony for a long term marriage?

Asked over 2 years ago - Orlando, FL

What type of alimony and how much should I seek per month given I was married close to 20 years and spouse was the bread winner during the duration of the marriage.

1. Alejandro Rafael Lopez

2

Best Answer

Answered . Before answering that question you have to look at:
    A. Your need for alimony,
    B. Your wife's capacity to pay you alimony,
    C. The years of marriage (which you already have as close to 20 years),
    D. Your health and your wife's health,
    E. The standard of living during the marriage,
    F. Your contributions and your wife's contributions to the marriage,
    G. Your age and your wife's age, as well as your education and your wife's education.
    Plus more factors under the law.
    After looking at all of that, the alimony you may get could be:

1. Permanent periodic (a sum per month, or per week that your wife would pay to you until you die, she dies, or you remarry, whichever event comes first), or
    2. Bridge-the-gap alimony (an amount of alimony to allow you to come back to single life), or
    3. Durable alimony (an amount of alimony per month, or per week, but not exceeding the years of marriage), or
    4. Lump sum alimony (as it says...a lump amount of money or property going to you from your wife), or
    5. A combination of all of the above.

Alejandro R. Lopez, Esq.
    Law Office of Alejandro R. Lopez, P.A.
    4465 Edgewater Dr.,
    Suite A
    Orlando, Fla. 32804
    Ph.: (407) 649-1404
    E-mail: info@yourattorneyinorlando.com
    info@tuabogadoenorlando.com

2. Joanna Marie Mitchell

Pro

2

Answered . Not enough information is given in order to answer your question. With a 20 year marriage, you may have an entitlement to alimony; however, the main factors are need and ability to pay. You should consult with an attorney in order to best determine your potential rights and options.

Detailed answers to many frequently asked questions regarding divorce, custody, visitation, child support, alimony, paternity and other Family Law matters are located on my website at http://www.mitchell-pa.com/FAQ_Main.html Be sure to stop by and check it out! And of course, if you have a question that is not addressed, please feel free to email me directly.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, my office offers free initial telephone consultations. During the consultation, we can discuss the particulars of your situation in depth, as well as explore your potential rights and options. If you would like to coordinate a free initial telephone consultation, please contact my office at 407-971-6140 or 352-324-2444 to schedule same.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements.

3. Christian Matthew Denmon

Pro

1

Answered . I try to just answer questions and not push "talking to a lawyer" on here.

But in this case, you really need to sit down with a lawyer and discuss your unique cade. Financially you may gave slot on the line.

4. Brent Allan Rose

1

Answered . I agree with the answers of the other attorneys, and just to keep Mr. Lopez's list comprehensive, I'll add that we have two other types of alimony in Florida (and both may be applicable to your case):

1) Rehabilitative alimony (used to bring a former spouse's skills current in the market place or pay for a technical or college education for the former spouse) and,
    2) Temporary alimony (alimony that his paid while the divorce is pending).