What are the tax implications if I short sale my house that's currently in foreclosure? Any tax implications on 2013 foreclosre?

Asked over 1 year ago - Oakland, CA

Primary residence is currently in foreclosure. BK7 was discharged in 2010. A realtor suggested a short sale and negotiating relocation allowance from BofA. If the house is sold via short sale beyond Dec 2012, what are the tax implications? Is it viewed as taxable income by IRS? Foreclosure's Trustee Sale is Feb 2013, any tax implications? Do I get taxed either way?

When's the best time to move the house? If I move now and something happens to the house, what is my liability?

Thanks in advance.

1. Kenny Kean Tan

11

Best Answer

Answered . The answer depends on two things.

First, the Mortgage Debt Forgiveness Relief Act which says the debt discharged through short sales is exempt if the debt is discharged, i.e. the short sale closes escrow by December 31, 2012. There are 9 days left for the Congress to decide whether to extend it.

Second, if it is not extended, there is the insolvency exception you may base your exemption on if you can prove that at the time of the discharge your total liability is more than your assets.

Please check your cpa on the insolvency issue to see if you qualify.

2. Christopher Michael Larson

Pro

8

Answered . If the lender is discharging debt, you might receive a 1099-C, which will give you income unless you meet one of the exceptions mentioned by the previous attorney. I really cannot see them extending the Mortgage Debt Forgiveness Act for another year seeing as how they cannot pass anything right now, but I could be wrong. In that case, you would need to meet the insolvency requirement. You would file a Form 982 with your tax return in the year you receive a 1099-C.

Christopher Larson
    Insight Law
    Tax Lawyer
    Tax Attorney
    Tax Lawyer Bellevue
    Tax Lawyer Everett
    Tax Lawyer Des Moines WA
    Tax Lawyer Renton WA
    Bellevue IRS Contact Info
    Seattle IRS Tax Problems Help
    Bankruptcy Lawyer
    Estate Planning Lawyer
    Seattle IRS Appeal Attorney
    IRS Installment Agreement
    Washington B&O Tax Audit
    Washington Sales Tax Audit

3. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

8

Answered . The prior attorneys are correct: You may receive a 1099 C, but you may be insolvent or able to exclude the discharged debt from your taxable income depending on the law at the time. I doubt that in reality this will effect your choice.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now