What are the stipulations of short term disability?

Lancaster, PA |

Will my employer pay my medical benefits while I am out on short term disability? Also, can they fire me if I have no FMLA available and I have to go out on short term disability?

Your employer has the right to notify the administrator of its health care plan of your separation as soon as it occurs. If you have FMLA leave left, that leave will help you by maintaining your coverage at your normal cost (as if employed) for a maximum of 12 weeks. Thereafter, the employer has not obligation to amintain your coverage unless it is the employer's policy (subject to change on short notice) or it is guaranteed by a written employment contract or collective bargaining agreement.

This answer to your legal inquiry is based upon the limited facts stated in your question. Accurate legal advice is based upon an exchange between a lawyer and a client. The lawyer can then ask about other facts that may change or confirm the answer. Without that exchange, this reply should be considered limited in value. You should rely on this answer only at your own risk. Direct consultation with a lawyer is always recommended. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship. The answering attorney is licensed in Pennsylvania and all answers are given pursuant to Pennsylvania law, unless otherwise indicated.

2. McGraw laid it out correctly.