Skip to main content

What are the steps to take to be able to obtain legal residency in the USA?

Miami, FL |

I am a Mexican National with a current Mexican passport and I've been in the US for 10 years, I can't work legally in the country, I don't have a Social Security Number and I've never had a driver's license

Also I have 2 children who have been born in the US one of whom is developmentally disabled.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The answer to your question depends upon how you entered the United States. If you entered without a visa then your options are limited if you are no in removal proceedings, which I presume you are not.

If you did come in on a visa, or were the beneficiary or derivative beneficiary of an immigrant petition pursuant to 245(i) then you may have other options open to you.

I would recommend sitting down with an immigration attorney who can sit down and explain all of the issues you may face and the options that may be available to you. Best of luck.

FREE CONSULTATION ON IMMIGRATION AND DEPORTATION MATTERS Contact: Law Offices of KiKi M. Mosley 208 S. LaSalle St. Suite 1400 Chicago, Illinois 60604 773-501-2039 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


I agree with my colleague.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


You may qualify for c ancellation of removal. You should consult with a lawyer.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer