What are the steps to clear your name when you're a victim of identity theft?

Asked about 2 years ago - Houston, TX

Hi, my father-in-law just found out that he's a victim of identity theft. When he went to refinance his house, they told him that he still owe car payments that he had financed at the dealer 2 years ago. He was very shock because he never bought a car 2 yrs. ago. Can you please give me the steps in what to do to help him clear his name? Will he still be responsible for those payments when he doesn't even own any cars? Thank you.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Andrew Michael Milz

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . The best recommendation I can give, and I am asked this question a lot, is to visit the Federal Trade Commission's ("FTC's") website: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/c....

    There you can learn the exact steps you should take. Take them immediately, as every day can compound the damage that can be done to your father-in-law's wallet and credit.

    After taking these steps, and your problems persist, contact a consumer protection attorney. You can find one in your area by visiting the cite of the National Association of Consumer Advocates ("NACA"): www.naca.net.

    Hope this helps. Good luck!

    The above is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Gary Alan Armstrong


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Mr. Milz has provided good advice. We also have information at our website. http://www.armstrongattorneys.com/credit-report...
    You should be able to find an attorney in the Houston area to assist you, but if you cannot find one you like, feel free to contact our office.

    I am licensed only in Texas. Offering information of a general nature in response to a question is not intended to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,758 answers this week

2,840 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,758 answers this week

2,840 attorneys answering