What are the steps I need to take to get custody of my son when I am the father?

Asked over 1 year ago - Copiague, NY

I had a son 3 years ago and the mother and myself were just not working out. After leaving her she became addicted to drugs and alcohol met another man and left her son with her mother. I was going to college and living in a room. I didnt have the means to provide for my son so while the maternal grandmother supplied a roof over my sons head I gave her money to care for him. Last year I applied for custody and was still denied because I did not have enough space for my son. The court granted the maternal grandmother residential custody and me and the mother of my son joint custody. We were allowed to file again for residential custody if we had appropriate housing and a stable job to provide for our son.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Maria C. Tebano

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your question, contains the answer. If you have appropriate housing and a stable job, you should repetition for custody of your son.

  2. Howard A. Schwartz

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you have room and are able to financially. Are for the child then you should renew your petition. Good luck n

    I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Brooklynlaw.net Phone #: 718-208-6094... more
  3. Jayson Lutzky


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is a repeat post. See prior answers.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,893 answers this week

3,306 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,893 answers this week

3,306 attorneys answering