What are the statute of limitations in Family Courts? or in all other Civil Courts?

Norristown, PA |

Montgomery County, PA

Please let me know, and include your contact info.

Thank you.

1. I am not a PA lawyer, but here is a good site with the info you seek.

2. SOL's are distinguished by the subject matter (i.e. personal injury SOL is different from SOL for oral contract) moreso than by the court.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

3. SOL depends on a cause of action, not the court.

Lidia Alperovich
    215-355-9105

4. I will just add to the other answers that many Family Court cases don't really have statutes of limitations. If there's something bad going on within a custody case, for example, you can go back into court at any time. If you got a court order that is being violated, then you can go back to court for contempt no matter how old the order is. If you got a decision that you didn't like in support or equitable distribution, then there are appeal periods after the various stages of hearing, and they are much shorter than the statutes of limitations. I hope this helps. It would be easier to know how to advise you if we knew more about the specifics of the case.

Rochelle S. Rabin
    (484) 875-3023

If my answer was helpful to you, I would appreciate if you would mark it either "helpful" or "best answer" if you feel that applies, as AVVO gives us rating points based on feedback. Thank you! Please note that the above answer is not to be construed as legal advice. It is my personal opinion based on your question, and it was given without obtaining the detailed information that I would normally request in order to render comprehensive legal advice. I advise you to consult with a local attorney of your choosing to obtain specific legal advice. The fact that I answered your question does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and me.