What are the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim against a person?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

what are the time limitations for suing another individual on my own, who's domestic violence/sexual abuse had caused me long term pain and suffering?

1. Constantine D. Buzunis

10

Answered . In California the ordinary statute of limitations for perosnal injury is two (2) years from the date of injury, there are some modifications for cases like medical malpractice, etc.
    If you can show the claim is a result of Domestic Violence, then the claim period is three (3) years.
    i would not recommend suing on your own, get a lawyer and do it the right way, and maximize your rights of recovery.

2. Sean Michael Patrick

9

Answered . Generally in California a lawsuit for personal injuries must be brought within 2 years of the injuries. However, facts of the case may cause this general rule to change. I would recommend consulting with a personal injury attorney to evaluate your case.

3. Michael Shemtoub

7

Answered . Under California's code of civil procedures, a domestic violence victim has three years from the date of injury to file a personal-injury suit against the perpetrator

4. Alexander Jesus Limontes

8

Answered . I would contact a licensed attorney in California. They can advise you if you have a case and most consultations are free. Good luck.

Pro

6

Answered . State laws vary. Best bet is to contact one of the fine lawyers in your state above to discuss representation.

6. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Pro

3

Answered . THE STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS IN CALIFORNIA IS 2 YEARS FOR PERSONAL BODILY INJURY AND THREE YEARS FOR PROPERTY LOSS. BEST OF LUCK.