What are the SOL for juvenile citations for a moving violation?

Fort Worth, TX |

I was issued a citation when I was 16 (2002) and I just got notice of a court hearing last week for a court date on June 21, 2013. What is the SOL on juvenile matters? Can I get a copy of the complaint filed before the court hearing?

Statutes of limitations apply to the length of time after a criminal episode that you can still be charged for the offense. The citation means that you were charged in 2002. Contact the clerk of the court about how you might be able to receive or review the complaint.

You should be able to get a copy of the complaint prior to trial is you submit a timely motion for discovery. If the complaint was not filed within two years of the alleged violation, then the statute of limitations will have run and the State cannot charge you with the offense unless you agree to waive the statute of limitations.

Nothing in this answer constitutes an agreement to represent you in any criminal case. Additionally, the information provided above does not constitute legal advice.

Traffic tickets topics