What are the SOL for juvenile citations for a moving violation?

Asked about 1 year ago - Fort Worth, TX

I was issued a citation when I was 16 (2002) and I just got notice of a court hearing last week for a court date on June 21, 2013. What is the SOL on juvenile matters? Can I get a copy of the complaint filed before the court hearing?

1. James D. Roark

Answered . Statutes of limitations apply to the length of time after a criminal episode that you can still be charged for the offense. The citation means that you were charged in 2002. Contact the clerk of the court about how you might be able to receive or review the complaint.

2. Michael Andrew Garbe

Pro

Answered . You should be able to get a copy of the complaint prior to trial is you submit a timely motion for discovery. If the complaint was not filed within two years of the alleged violation, then the statute of limitations will have run and the State cannot charge you with the offense unless you agree to waive the statute of limitations.