What are the rules of a police officer in North Carolina when pulling over a motorcycle?

Siler City, NC |

I have been told when a policeman pulls over a biker they are to make the biker get off the bike take their helmet off and the keys out of the ignition. Is this true?

Yes. Police are allowed to order a bike rider to take the keys out of the ignition and get off the bike for officer safety. I would assume they can order the helmet off as well, for similar reasons.

They can order car drivers to step out of the vehicle for the same reason.

<a href="">Raleigh criminal lawyer</a> Damon Chetson represents people in Raleigh, Cary, Apex, and the rest of Wake County, North Carolina. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and should not be relied upon as the specific facts may change the potential advice. Consult with a licensed <a href="">Raleigh criminal lawyer</a> or attorney in your jurisdiction about your legal question or problem. For a free consultation about a North Carolina case, call (919) 352-9411 day or night, any day of the week.

is there a law saying they have to do so or is it their choice whether they do so or not?

Damon John Chetson

Damon John Chetson

Their choice. And it's not a law, it's governed by case law.

Police are not required to do these things but may do so for their own safety. It is very typical for police officers to make these requests so that the biker does not flee from the scene while the officer is away from his/her cruiser.

Call Trial Attorney Dustin RT Sullivan at (910) 508-2200 or visit us at to find out more.

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights