What are the rules of a police officer in North Carolina when pulling over a motorcycle?

Asked over 1 year ago - Siler City, NC

I have been told when a policeman pulls over a biker they are to make the biker get off the bike take their helmet off and the keys out of the ignition. Is this true?

1. Damon John Chetson

Answered . Yes. Police are allowed to order a bike rider to take the keys out of the ignition and get off the bike for officer safety. I would assume they can order the helmet off as well, for similar reasons.

They can order car drivers to step out of the vehicle for the same reason.

2. Dustin R. T. Sullivan

Answered . Police are not required to do these things but may do so for their own safety. It is very typical for police officers to make these requests so that the biker does not flee from the scene while the officer is away from his/her cruiser.

Call Trial Attorney Dustin RT Sullivan at (910) 508-2200 or visit us at www.sullivansnowlaw.com to find out more.