What are the rules in NY State for placing a legal hold on a JOINT bank account if you only have several dollars in it?

Cicero, NY |

A credit card company won a judgement against me for balance. I wrote the court that I was filing bankruptcy with other details but lost. My husband is joint owner on bank account. I read where the bank can not place hold unless there is a "certain dollar amount". I believe it said somewhere around 1700.00. I also have a direct deposit for long term disability payment monthly-not soc sec disability-that goes in. Can they take that? If I file bankruptcy do I still notify court or is it to late? Can they garnish my disability payment?

If a writ is served on your account it only applies to the money in the account that day. if you file for bankruptcy protection send a notice to the court in which the lawsuit was filed.

This answer does not create an attorney client relationship between you and I. I am not your attorney unless we both sign a written contract that describes our relationship and terms of the representation. Any information provided to you here is not a substitute for the advice you need to pursue any legal matter. I advise you to retain the services of a local attorney before taking any legal action in this matter.

Marriage and prenups topics