What are the rules in NY State for placing a legal hold on a JOINT bank account if you only have several dollars in it?

Asked about 2 years ago - Cicero, NY

A credit card company won a judgement against me for balance. I wrote the court that I was filing bankruptcy with other details but lost. My husband is joint owner on bank account. I read where the bank can not place hold unless there is a "certain dollar amount". I believe it said somewhere around 1700.00. I also have a direct deposit for long term disability payment monthly-not soc sec disability-that goes in. Can they take that? If I file bankruptcy do I still notify court or is it to late? Can they garnish my disability payment?

1. Stephen M Trezza

Pro

Answered . If a writ is served on your account it only applies to the money in the account that day. if you file for bankruptcy protection send a notice to the court in which the lawsuit was filed.