What are the rules and guidelines for paternity and child support in Tennessee

Asked 11 months ago - Oak Ridge, TN

My husband is accused of fathering a child with another woman. The child is now over a year old. Throughout a majority of her pregnancy and about three months after the birth he made attempts to have a paternity test done, even offered to pay for it professionally and arranged an appointment to which she never showed. Since then we have seen the child and there is no resemblance but the chance still lingers there. We want to know without taking anything to court and also want to be protected down the road in case the mother decides she wants compensation. What can we do? Are there laws that protect him since we have documented requests and attempts to get a paternity test?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Ben Hyder Houston II


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As a potential Father, your husband could file a petition to establish paternity, and as part of that proceeding he could demand that a DNA test be conducted. If the DNA test rules him out as the Father, then he would not have to worry about this situation any further. However, if DNA testing shows that he is the Father, child support would be set, and he could also pursue co-parenting time with his child.

    If he doesn't deal with this situation now, there is always the possibility that the child's Mother and/or the State of Tennessee could sue him for child support years down the road, and he could end up owing tens of thousands of dollars in back child support. At a minimum, your husband should consult with an attorney in order to fully understand all if his options and their potential legal ramifications. Many attorneys, including myself, offer free initial consultations.

    Best of luck!

  2. Patti Jon Burton Garner


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with the previous response. If you decide not to file though, hold onto all the proof you have about contact and setting the DNA test. It will be useful to reduce a future judgment.

    If you find this answer helpful, please let other readers know by marking the answer as "helpful". No... more
  3. Janeita Lynn Lentz

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If the mother is unwilling to consent to the DNA testing done privately, your husband can petition the court to establish parentage, including a request for court-ordered DNA testing. If he turns out to be the father, he will be ordered to pay child support, but will also be able to seek parenting time with the child. If the DNA tests exclude him as the father, you can put this issue behind you and move forward with your lives. Please consult with an attorney before filing any petitions with the court, as this is a complex issue.

    Answering questions on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship. In order to create an attorney-client... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,397 answers this week

2,875 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,397 answers this week

2,875 attorneys answering