What are the rights of an unwed mother and father in massachusetts

Lowell, MA |

If all of a sudden the father of my three children all minors wants to possibly have them sleep at his house. Can the mother who the children live with provide for etc say no?
Can the unwed mother of the children change the childrens last names since the childrens parents are no longer together and the children live with the mother etc?

You should consult a family law attorney as soon as possible. You can petition the court to change your the names of your children which may be contested by the father. You can also apply for sole custody should that arise but keep in mind it is a good idea to keep the father involved in your children's lives unless there are extenuating circumstances. Best of luck.

The above is NOT legal advice, and is NOT intended to be legal advice. No Attorney-Client relationship is created through the above answer.

2. Why block this.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

3. The answer to your question about visitation will depend on several factors. First, it will depend on whether paternity has been adjudicated or acknowledged for the father. If paterntity has been adjudicated/acknowleged, the next question is whether there is an existing custody/visitation order. If there is an existingn custody/visitation order, you must comply with terms of that order, or seek a modification of that order.

I would highly recommend that you speak with a family law attorney to address the many aspects that need to be considered.

As far as changing the children's names, you may petition the court to do so, but you must give notice of the petition to the father.

Good luck!

NOTE: This answer is for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your area who regularly practices in the subject matter which your question is about. You should develop an attorney client relationship with the lawyer of your choice so that your communications will be subject to the attorney client privilege and have the other benefits of a professional relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific matter as partially described in the question