What are the rights of an unwed mother and father in massachusetts

Asked over 1 year ago - Lowell, MA

If all of a sudden the father of my three children all minors wants to possibly have them sleep at his house. Can the mother who the children live with provide for etc say no?
Can the unwed mother of the children change the childrens last names since the childrens parents are no longer together and the children live with the mother etc?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Emma A. Kremer

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You should consult a family law attorney as soon as possible. You can petition the court to change your the names of your children which may be contested by the father. You can also apply for sole custody should that arise but keep in mind it is a good idea to keep the father involved in your children's lives unless there are extenuating circumstances. Best of luck.

    The above is NOT legal advice, and is NOT intended to be legal advice. No Attorney-Client relationship is created... more
  2. Talia N. Simonds

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . The answer to your question about visitation will depend on several factors. First, it will depend on whether paternity has been adjudicated or acknowledged for the father. If paterntity has been adjudicated/acknowleged, the next question is whether there is an existing custody/visitation order. If there is an existingn custody/visitation order, you must comply with terms of that order, or seek a modification of that order.

    I would highly recommend that you speak with a family law attorney to address the many aspects that need to be considered.

    As far as changing the children's names, you may petition the court to do so, but you must give notice of the petition to the father.

    Good luck!

    NOTE: This answer is for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that... more
  3. Henry Lebensbaum

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Why block this.

    henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

    Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,311 answers this week

2,696 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,311 answers this week

2,696 attorneys answering