What are the repercussions for failing to keep my green card updated?

Asked over 1 year ago - Huntington Beach, CA

I was issued a green card many, many, years ago. I believe it's been about 25 yrs ago. I am now 39 yrs old. I never bothered to look @ it @ simultaneously have never looked into applying for citizenship (which I know I should have done by now). With that said, I'm a little afraid of what may happen for lack of keeping up with it. I have 3 children, all born here in the US, plus my wife. But we are currently separated and eventually going thru a divorce. I did make an appointment with local INS office. Will I be ok?

1. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . Not being able to prove that you are a legal permanent resident.

2. Christian Schmidt

1

Answered . You can either apply for citizenship or file an application for a current green card. You should consult about the matter with an immigration attorney if you have had any arrests or convictions in the past.

3. Myron Russell Morales

Pro

Answered . You can apply for the new card by filing an I-90 with the USCIS. You have not lost your status as that has to be formally taken away by the government or you have to renounce it at a US consulate abroad.

Myron R. Morales, Attorney
    Morales PLLC
    info@moralespllc.com