Skip to main content

What are the repercussions for failing to keep my green card updated?

Huntington Beach, CA |

I was issued a green card many, many, years ago. I believe it's been about 25 yrs ago. I am now 39 yrs old. I never bothered to look @ it @ simultaneously have never looked into applying for citizenship (which I know I should have done by now). With that said, I'm a little afraid of what may happen for lack of keeping up with it. I have 3 children, all born here in the US, plus my wife. But we are currently separated and eventually going thru a divorce. I did make an appointment with local INS office. Will I be ok?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You can either apply for citizenship or file an application for a current green card. You should consult about the matter with an immigration attorney if you have had any arrests or convictions in the past.

  2. You can apply for the new card by filing an I-90 with the USCIS. You have not lost your status as that has to be formally taken away by the government or you have to renounce it at a US consulate abroad.

    Myron R. Morales, Attorney
    Morales PLLC

  3. Not being able to prove that you are a legal permanent resident.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics