WHAT ARE THE QUALIFICATIONS FOR NON SERVICE CONNECTED PENSION

Asked 5 months ago - Memphis, TN

I HAVE DEPRESSION AND BACK PROBLEMS..EVERY SINCE I ENTERED THE NAVY I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING FROM DEPRESSION..I WOUND UP ON DRUGS. MY MENTAL STABILITY HAS NOT BEEN THE SAME SINCE MY TIME IN THE NAVY.. I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO HOLD A JOB... I'VE BEEN ALL SCREWED UP EVERY SINCE

1. Arnold Garson Cohen

Pro

4

Answered . You should consult a lawyer in your area who practices military law or military disability law. You can find them on AVVO or possibly through the Memphis Bar Assn. I changed your category to military law.

2. Charles P. Ward

Pro

3

Answered . Not real sure based on your question but you just need to speak with an attorney in your area to discuss your case--good luck.

*This information should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.
  3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

3

Answered . How long were you in? Did you have medical issues you documented on active duty? Have you applied for benefits from VA? What kind of discharged did you have? How long ago were you on active duty? How long did you serve?

All of these questions need to be answered, just to determine if you are eligible to receive any VA benefits. For now put a 'pension' out of your mind, but you maybe able to receive medical help.

4. Cheryl L Van Ackeren

3

Answered . For clarity, I am unsure which pension you are asking about. The military (branch) has their own separation requirements and the VA has a different qualification. The VA is generally the most common payments that people think of so I'll review that first. The VA has compensation and pension. The compensation part is for service connected disabilities and the VA decides if your injuries were the result of service or aggravated by service. This leads to a service connected disability rating and monthly payments. A pension under the VA is not connected to service disabilities, but to a veteran's income. To qualify for a pension you must be low-income wartime Veterans.

The branches handle medical discharges differently. Generally, you must receive a 30% disability rating or higher to qualify for the medical retirement list. If you are put on the medical retirement list, then you qualify for medical retirement from the military each month.

5. Veronica Alicia Silva

2

Answered . It is not clear what question you are really asking. Maybe best it would be for you to talk to an attorney in person.

Good luck!

6. J. Travis Studdard

Pro

2

Answered . Although much more information is needed, you may qualify for non-service connected pension or service-connected compensation benefits. Pension requires total disability and has strict income thresholds (plus wartime service). I suggest you talk with an attorney who can better assess your situation after getting the necessary information from you. Good luck to you.

7. Matthew Donovan Hill

1

Answered . As far as war time service goes, you have to have served during a period when we were at war. This doesn't mean that you had to serve in that war.