Skip to main content

What are the probable/possible consequences I may face if and when I contact the court after failing to complete probation?

Carmel, IN |

After getting charged with OWI I agreed to a plea deal in which I was ordered to complete one year of probation and 24 hours of community service while my license was suspended for 180 days. Probation meetings went very well for the first couple months, but then I missed one and was afraid of the consequences so I missed another and another... I never did go back or have contact with the court or probation officer, and they have not tried to contact me. Almost two years have passed since this and it is really weighing on my conscious. Also, I tried to get my license back, but the BMV says it is suspended for "Failure to Appear for Driver Safety Program" which I was unaware that I had to do. What are the probable/possible consequences I may face if and when I contact the court/probation?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You should contact a criminal defense lawyer to help you with your situation. It is probable that your probation officer has filed a petition alleging that you violated the terms of your probation by failing to appear for your probation appointments and possibly failing to meet other requirements of your probation. The situation will not simply go away. You should address your case as soon as possible. An attorney can explain your rights to you and help you get the best result possible in your case. Good luck.

Juan C. Garcia, Jr.


I would have to see the plea agreement, but frequently in IN, you are sentenced to a period of jail which is suspended and served on probation. If you violate the probation, you may be required to serve the jail time. Also, there is probably an outstanding warrant for your arrest. You should hire a lawyer and address this matter soon before you are picked up.


I agree with my colleagues. Any possibility you have of resurrecting your probation will almost certainly vanish once you are arrested on an open warrant. Discuss your situation with a local criminal defense attorney as soon as possible and whatever you do, don't drive.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links:

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer