What are the probabilities to transfer my OPT to a B1 visa?

New York, NY |

I want to start my own closing line as a real proper established professional business. I graduate in NYC and I am ready to start. I wrote a business plan, transferred the funds to my NY bank account, a great concept and great people surrounding me. Now, lawyers recommended me not to go for the investor visa. Some lawyers told me that its a lot of work but it is doable with $100,000 but others said that it is very risky because the immigration office that takes care of those visas don't like to give B1 visas. I am confused.

Your facts/questions are confusing.

Are you considering an E, or a B visa?

E is possible, if you qualify, but difficult for a start-up.

B is nearly impossible.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

2. Seek advise of a competent immigration attorney. B-1 is for business travelers, it may not work for you based on the facts you provided.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 to schedule a consultation.

3. I have done E Visa start ups and your business plan is a key document. I have filed successful E-2 petitions with as little as 35K in investment. (for a service industry start up).

The content of this answer has been prepared by Scott Legal Services, P.C. for general informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and should not be considered or relied upon as legal advice. Transmission or receipt of the content of this information does not create, nor is it intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Because each matter involves differing facts, online readers should not act upon the content of this website without seeking legal advice.