What are the potential legal implications of reneging on a job offer I previously accepted?

Asked 9 months ago - New York, NY

I was offered a high-paying job in mid-2013 with a target start date of January, 2014. For a number of reasons, I have decided to take another job in January instead and renege on my signed offer from mid-2013. I received a sign-on bonus as well.

What can the employer legally do, besides ask that I return the sign-on bonus? Can they sue me for breach of contract or anything else?

Pleaes note: this is at-will employment, as stated in the offer letter I signed.

1. Vincent Peter White

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . If there was no contract, then there would realistically be no consequences. However, if you received a sign-on bonus it is likely that there was a written agreement of some kind before you received those funds.

If there was an agreement we are unable to answer your question without first reviewing that agreement.

2. Arthur H. Forman

Pro

3

1

Answered . If you did not receive this offer through a head hunter, probably not, but you may want to have an attorney review the letter to be sure.

3. Mishka L Marshall

Pro

2

1

Answered . You will almost certainly have to return the sign-on bonus. As for whether the employer has any other options, it's impossible to tell without having a local employment attorney review the actual documents.