What are the possible outcomes of sueing someone fo my intellectual property?

Asked about 2 years ago - Columbia, MO

A person hacked meand stole a facebook page worth $4,000, they sold the page to my affiliate illegally and i want to sue the affiliate as they wont give it back and completely cut me out of my property.

1. William Leroy Montague Jr.

4

Answered . Mr. Ballard and Mr. Doland are correct, you don't provide enough information to allow any real response. What you need to do is speak to a lawyer in your area and provide him/her much more detailed information about the situation. In any event, however, I'll hazard a few basic guesses as to what you might mean and the possible legal implications.

If you mean the hacker accessed your Facebook page and obtained communications between you and other people or other information, you might have a claim under the federal Stored Communications Act (18 U.S.C. §§ 2701–2712) or even the federal Computer Fraud & Abuse Act (18 U.S.C. § 1030).

If you mean that the Facebook page was copied without authorization, you conceivably could sue for copyright infringement.

If you mean that the hacker obtained confidential trade secret information regarding the affiliate relationship, you conceivably could sue for trade secret misappropriation under your state's trade secret laws.

2. Daniel Nathan Ballard

2

Answered . There are way too many variables and facts [some very likely not favorable to you] for anyone to provide you with actionable information. This matter must be reviewed by your own attorney.

3. Michael Charles Doland

2

Answered . Your facts don't allow full analysis. You would be best served by an attorney who reviews all the facts. Make sure you review the Facebook terms and conditions of use when you consider your rights and your options.