What are the possible outcomes of sueing someone fo my intellectual property?

Columbia, MO |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

A person hacked meand stole a facebook page worth $4,000, they sold the page to my affiliate illegally and i want to sue the affiliate as they wont give it back and completely cut me out of my property.

There are way too many variables and facts [some very likely not favorable to you] for anyone to provide you with actionable information. This matter must be reviewed by your own attorney.

The above is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney. You should seek the advice of competent counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry.

Your facts don't allow full analysis. You would be best served by an attorney who reviews all the facts. Make sure you review the Facebook terms and conditions of use when you consider your rights and your options.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Mr. Ballard and Mr. Doland are correct, you don't provide enough information to allow any real response. What you need to do is speak to a lawyer in your area and provide him/her much more detailed information about the situation. In any event, however, I'll hazard a few basic guesses as to what you might mean and the possible legal implications.

If you mean the hacker accessed your Facebook page and obtained communications between you and other people or other information, you might have a claim under the federal Stored Communications Act (18 U.S.C. §§ 2701–2712) or even the federal Computer Fraud & Abuse Act (18 U.S.C. § 1030).

If you mean that the Facebook page was copied without authorization, you conceivably could sue for copyright infringement.

If you mean that the hacker obtained confidential trade secret information regarding the affiliate relationship, you conceivably could sue for trade secret misappropriation under your state's trade secret laws.

The information provided here is general in nature, is not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship with Will Montague or Montague Law PLLC.