What are the penalties of driving with an expired inspection sticker in New Jersey?

Newark, NJ |

I just got my license and have been using my dad's car to go to my new job. I just checked the sticker and it expired last year!!

Is it true that you can get 30 day imprisonment for driving with an expired inspection sticker? I am in a complicated situation as I just started my job and I can't just show up late or not show up for a day.

Just get it inspected ASAP.

Benjamin G. Kelsen IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER PLEASE INDICATE YOUR APPRECIATION BY SELECTING IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Law Offices of Benjamin G. Kelsen, Esq. LLC 179 Cedar Lane Teaneck, NJ 07666 Phone: 201-692-0073/ Fax: 201-692-0151 Web Site: www.kelsenlaw.com / Email: bgkelsen@kelsenlaw.com NOT LEGAL ADVICE: The above information may contain an opinion which does not constitute legal advice. Unless a retainer agreement has been signed, we are not your legal representatives, and you should not rely on any opinions contained in this message.

I will go tomorrow morning but won't I still go to to trouble as the inspector will notice it at the inspection center?

Benjamin G Kelsen

Benjamin G Kelsen

Feel free to call to discuss the matter in greater detail.

Inspection only takes fifteen minutes

Statute 39:8-9 (b)(4) does make a 30 day jail term possible. But I have never seen or heard of such a sentence. Also if you read the statute it appears this only could happen for multiple refusals to inspect, otherwise it is a fine. Also it applies only to the owner. However there may be a laspe of registration as well and the wehicle could be impounded causing problems getting to work. A cop could run the plate and stop you. Why not check on the registration and get it inspected over a weekend.

Thanks for the details! I am still sort of thinking of this as a risk driving gif another 5 days until the weekend and even though the 30 day thing doesn't seem to apply it is however quite scary,

Mark M Cheser

Mark M Cheser

I think you can register on line and then just inspect on Saturday. Check that registration!

Traffic tickets topics