What are the penalties of driving with an expired inspection sticker in New Jersey?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Newark, NJ

I just got my license and have been using my dad's car to go to my new job. I just checked the sticker and it expired last year!!

Is it true that you can get 30 day imprisonment for driving with an expired inspection sticker? I am in a complicated situation as I just started my job and I can't just show up late or not show up for a day.

1. 3

1

Answered . Statute 39:8-9 (b)(4) does make a 30 day jail term possible. But I have never seen or heard of such a sentence. Also if you read the statute it appears this only could happen for multiple refusals to inspect, otherwise it is a fine. Also it applies only to the owner. However there may be a laspe of registration as well and the wehicle could be impounded causing problems getting to work. A cop could run the plate and stop you. Why not check on the registration and get it inspected over a weekend.

2. 2

Answered . Just get it inspected ASAP.

3. 2

Answered . Inspection only takes fifteen minutes