What are the penalties of a Class 2 felony in Illinois of being charged with Aggravated Battery of a police officer.

Bourbonnais, IL |

As the police officer was attempting to arrest and handcuff me for shoplifting. I lightly pushed his hand away as he was attempting to handcuff me? What extra penalties can I expect with a Class 2 felony added to a Class A misdemeanor for Shoplifting?

My colleagues have all correctly noted the statutory prison term prescribed by Illinois law for a Class 2 felony. You should know that in unusual circumstances the court can sentence even more severely by imposing a conseutive sentence or an extended term sentence of 7 - 14 years. On the good side, the court also has available less severe sentences including probation, conditional discharge, periodic imprisonment and boot camp programs, some of which might be available. There may be various diversionary programs available, also. You should have an attorney, who can explore all of your options and defenses with you.

2. A class 2 felony carries a possible sentence of 3 to 7 years in prison. Any sentence depends upon your criminal history. If you have none, prison is not usually an outcome.

Answers presented on this website are intended only for informational purposes and any use of the contained material is at the users own risk. Answers are intended exclusively as a public resource for general information, and this information is intended, but is not promised or guaranteed to be, correct, up-to-date, or complete. This material is not intended to constitute legal advice, as an agreement to create an attorney-client relationship with the law offices of Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC, or the provision of legal services, and receipt of this information does not constitute such an agreement. If legal or other specific expert advice is required, then the services of a competent professional should be sought.O

3. Class 2 Felony has a sentecing range of btween 3 and 7 years in a state Penitentiary and/or
    fine of up to $25,000. Please review the Penal Code below:
    http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=072000050HArt%2E+12%2C+Subdiv%2E+5&ActID=1876&ChapterID=53&SeqStart=20887500&SeqEnd=22225000

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

4. As the other attorneys have pointed out, the offense carries a possible sentence of anywhere from 3 to 7 years. It is a probationable offense, depending on your prior criminal history. You should retain counsel in the county where you are charged. www.galivanlaw.net