What are the Penalties of 18 Pa. CS§4904 relating to unsworn falsification to authorities.

Asked about 2 years ago - Fairview, PA

What are the Penalties of 18 Pa. CS§4904 relating to unsworn falsification to authorities.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Michael Kotik


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Response to answer by attorney Michael Kotik.

    § 4904. Unsworn falsification to authorities.
    (a) In general.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the
    second degree if, with intent to mislead a public servant in
    performing his official function, he:
    (1) makes any written false statement which he does not
    believe to be true;
    (2) submits or invites reliance on any writing which he
    knows to be forged, altered or otherwise lacking in
    authenticity; or
    (3) submits or invites reliance on any sample, specimen,
    map, boundary mark, or other object which he knows to be
    (b) Statements "under penalty".--A person commits a
    misdemeanor of the third degree if he makes a written false
    statement which he does not believe to be true, on or pursuant
    to a form bearing notice, authorized by law, to the effect that
    false statements made therein are punishable.
    (c) Perjury provisions applicable.--Section 4902(c) through
    (f) of this title (relating to perjury) applies to this section.
    (d) Penalty.--In addition to any other penalty that may be
    imposed, a person convicted under this section shall be
    sentenced to pay a fine of at least $1,000.
    (Nov. 29, 2006, P.L.1481, No.168, eff. 60 days)

    Misdemeanor of the 2nd degree can result in a max penalty of 2 years in jail and a $5000.00 fine.

    Answers are not of fact, but rather the opinion of the attorney answering the questions asked. At no time does... more
  2. George A. Heym

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I would add that you should consult with a local criminal defense attorney. The penalties listed above are the maximum penalties and depending on your previous criminal record you might actually be facing far less.

    In the past, I have gotten people probation on similar charges, however, every county is different. Only an experienced local criminal defense attorney can give you a good idea of what you should expect.

  3. Shawn Michael Curry

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . I agree with the previous answers.

    Additionally, I would first emphasize that the penalties you will face will depend upon a fact-specific evaluation of your case, which should not be done here in an open forum. Thus, you should not respond to these answers here with specific facts or background related to your case.

    Further, an individualized evaluation of each case is important because everyone brings there own set of circumstances to the table. It is important to identify your short and long-term goals because a quick resolution for probation may sound great today until you realize down the road that nature of the conviction for a crime of dishonesty has substantially impaired your ability to obtain employment in a specific field.

    You should proceed cautiously with purpose and fully assess your options by immediately contacting a criminal defense attorney in the area where your case is pending,

    The information provided herein neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor should it be used or relied... more
  4. Geoffrey Scott McInroy


    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . It depends on your prior record score. If you have no prior record, the answer is pobation 99% of the time. If you are charged with that crime, you should contact and retain an attorney to evaluate your case for possible defenses and possible outcomes.

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,193 answers this week

2,329 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,193 answers this week

2,329 attorneys answering