What are the penalties in Florida for lying to a police officer and making a false report?

Asked over 4 years ago - Gainesville, FL

I was on my way to a club, and was approached by a homeless man asking for money.He was aggressive and I was scared,my friend called the cops without my consent, now i am in trouble for filing a false report, and lying to a law enforcement officer. What could happen when i go to court?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Craig A. Epifanio

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . You don't say what you lied about. For example, if you lied about facts in a murder investigation then it is very serious and you could do a lot of prison time. However, it sounds like this is a misdemeanor and you would be facing one year in jail and a $1000 fine. You really should talk to an attorney in your area enough time before court so that you could fight this. There may be defenses or it may be that the state can't prove the charge. You really won't know until you talk to an attorney.

  2. Stephen Andrew Mosca


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . If your friend called the police, what did you do? Did they call from your phone? Once the police arrive what was said? By whom? What part of the report was actually, factually false? You'll need to post more information for a better answer than that already provided.

  3. Barbara Blount-Powell

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . I agree that you should consult with an attorney - in an office setting where the attorney-client priviledge will apply. Discussing the specific facts of your case with friends, family, or the internet may compromise an important facet of your case.
    As this may be considered a crime of dishonesty, or moral turpitude, a conviction may have an impact on your future. If you have no prior history, you may be eligible for a diversion outside the criminal justice system; we often obtain such resolutions in Gainesville which ultimately result in the case being dismissed.
    Again, please consult with counsel; most firms here in Gainesville, including ours, will give you a free, if brief, initial consultation.
    Best wishes for a successful resolution of this case.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,064 answers this week

3,038 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,064 answers this week

3,038 attorneys answering