What are the penalties for working "under the table" while receiving Unemployment benefits in California?

Asked about 3 years ago - Oakland, CA

My husband had an agreement to work "under the table" for a Realtor while receiving unemployment benefits. My husband benefits ran out in December. This Realtor sent a 1099 reporting this income in February. My questions are: What are the penalties for committing this fraud? Would it be better to contact the EDD before we file his income tax? and finally, will they give us a chance to pay back any overpayment before there is a threat of jail?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . It is impossible to predict whether EDD will cause your husband to be prosecuted. The best thing to do is contact EDD immediately and make arrangements to pay back the inappropriately-paid unemployment benefits. Your husband will have to pay a30% penalty and will be disqualified from receiving unemployment benefits for a period of time. And of course he must repay the money.

    EDD's web site provides this information about fraud:

    "Fraud: When you knowingly give false information or withhold information and receive benefits that you should not have received. Withholding or giving false information to obtain unemployment insurance benefits is a serious offense that can result in criminal prosecution. With a fraud overpayment, you are assessed a penalty in the amount of 30 percent of the amount of the overpayment and a false statement disqualification of 5 to 23 weeks. Fraud overpayments and penalties must be repaid."

    "If you do not repay your overpayment promptly, EDD will deduct the money owed from your future weekly unemployment or state insurance benefits. This process is referred to as an offset. EDD may also:"

    "Reduce or totally withhold your state income tax refunds, lottery winnings, or any other money owed to you by the state."

    "File a claim against you in court, charge you court costs and interest, and record a lien on your property."

    See additional information here: http://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/Overpayments...

    *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your... more

Related Topics

Unemployment compensation after job loss

Unemployment compensation is money you get from the state if you lose your job and it's not your fault. It helps cover your expenses while you look for a job.

Bradley Paul Rothman

Florida Unemployment Appeals

Generally, you are entitled to unemployment benefits if your employment was terminated for reasons other than "misconduct" as that term is defined by statute, or if you resigned your... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

38,033 answers this week

3,950 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

38,033 answers this week

3,950 attorneys answering